Blogging offers a great way for you to connect with the world, expressing your hobbies, promoting your business and more. But blogging is much more than writing and posting articles or photos, finding a reliable blog hosting also plays an important role in getting a blog up and run live on the internet. It is an additional requirement besides a domain name or a URL.
There are so many web hosting companies boasting about premium blogging features and tools. As a beginner, you might be confused about how to find a reliable blog hosting solution for your blogs. In this article, we will be walking you through all key factors of choosing a blog hosting service.
What is a blog hosting service?
In addition to a domain name or URL, a blog hosting is critical to starting a blog, particularly when you finally make a decision on building blogs with a self-hosted blog platform. A blog hosting service allows you to manage and connect blogs to the internet by offering you server space, network infrastructure, technical help and other programs.
Often you can have free domain name registration along with a blog hosting plan. We have introduced three similar solutions in our Best Blog Hosting in 2017, including Bluehost, iPage and WebHostingHub, who stand out from a bunch of hosting companies for their low cost, rich user-friendly yet advanced features, rock solid data center infrastructure, and superior customer service.
If you already have a domain name, you can still migrate it to a different blog hosting provider. Don’t worry. Most hosting companies support free migration service to help save your bucks.
Different type of blog hosting service
Basically, there are three types of blog hosting services offered by hosting companies to cater to different needs.
- Shared web hosting: As the name implies, your blog is hosted on a server shared by many other blogs and websites. Being affordable is the main advantage of this hosting solution, while there is also downside, for instance, relatively slow page loading.
- VPS & cloud hosting: Technically, virtual private server (VPS) and cloud hosting are not an either/or option. But if in prospective of functionality, they deliver very similar quality privacy, security and control. Your blog is ensured to benefit from independent server resources, faster site speed, and more control over your hosting environment. VPS and cloud hosting usually charge at different standard, the former requires you to pay monthly or yearly while the latter often supports pay-as-you-go.
- Dedicated hosting: Instead of sharing with others, a dedicated hosting gives you the entire web server and hardware to run your blog without worrying about performance. With dedicated server space, the fastest speed and best security, dedicated hosting charges at the highest pricing amongst the three types.
Usually, we would like to strongly recommend bloggers with a minimum budget to start with a shared web hosting. As with the posts and traffics growing, you may need to upgrade your plan to a quality VPS, cloud or dedicated hosting service.
What to consider when choosing a blog hosting?
It could be a challenge to find a reliable blog hosting plan, especially for new bloggers. There are a lot of things to consider alongside too many web hosting companies available on the marketplace.
Firstly, determine your requirements.
Before starting creating a blog, you should first decide what blogging platform to build with. There are a wide range of blogging platform solutions out there to choose from, but certain blog hosting services cannot support all of them. Just in the case of WordPress, you should ensure your blog hosting service enables for WordPress platform installation at least.
Secondly, match your needs at the best price.
Even though you have reviewed tens of blog hosting services in the industry, you still need to do some more research. One of the best ways is asking other bloggers about their opinions on the quality and pricing of blog hosting solutions they are currently using. Always keep in mind that a blog hosting service changes frequently as technology is advancing so fast today, it’s necessary to check the most accurate information about a blog hosting package’s features and prices through its official website.
Thirdly, focus on the hosting features.
Typically, a blog hosting plan would include plenty of detailed features. It is impossible for a beginner to clearly understand every single feature. Given that, we list several key elements that need to be top priorities for all.
- Data Transfer: Make sure the transfer limit is high enough to support all the data published on your blog, including every post being viewed by every visitor. There is no necessarily overbuying initially since you can always upgrade to higher transfer limits as your blog grows.
- Space: Different blog hosting package often comes with different space allocations. What you need to do is signing up with the one that offers you large enough space to meet your needs and budget. As a new blogger, you may don’t have to pursue terabytes of space, therefore remember not to be swayed by solutions that claim exorbitant amount of space.
- Speed and Uptime: Remember, the quality of your blogging experience will largely depend on the blog hosting performance and reliability. Evaluate a blog hosting package based on the data center location, server hardware and network infrastructure to give your visitors peace of mind that they really get what you are paying for.
Other less important features you should also pay attention to when choosing a blog hosting plan. For example, designing and building tools like website builder, CMS, themes & templates, photo galleries and forums, email services including email setup, email forwarding, autoresponder, and spam filter, and e-commerce offerings as online store, shopping card, payment systems, etc.
Lastly, customer support is important.
It’s imperative that your blog hosting provider has professional support team available around the clock to help with your questions or problems about the hosting service. Try to ensure that your blog hosting provider has offered you adequate customer support. A renowned hosting company, to receive 100% customer satisfaction, will be able to get through via LiveChat and/or phone call, in addition to email and/or ticketing system and an extensive knowledgebase.
To conclude, having a clear understanding about your purpose as well as potential growth of your blog is the premise of picking the most suitable blog hosting service. As is the nature that everyone expects for the best deals, you’d better make sure the cheap blog hosting solution can perfectly fit your needs at the same time.