There are numerous ways to create backup of your WordPress website. Here we shall describe as many as we can.
Creating website backup with WordPress Export Import functions
- At first, select the content that you want to backup using the Export functionality of WordPress.
- You can select pages, posts, different post formats to create backup.
- After selecting the content, click to download the Export file.
- All your selected content will get downloaded in XML format.
- After you export the content, you need to transfer them to your desired location or website.
- Now, use the Import function to locate the XML database of the backup content and click on upload.
- Once uploading is done, the next part is to either assign all these posts to a specific author or user or to rearrange the whole like it was earlier.
Using the Export Import functions of WordPress is the easiest way of creating your website backup. However, you need to ensure certain things before you proceed for it. All content will not be transferred or backed up. Again, when you upload the XML, many can show as a duplicate. WordPress allows backup between other blogging platforms like Blogger, LiveJournal, TypePad etc. So, you can create backup for them and from them too.
Creating website backup using cPanel
cPanel provides the easiest tools for creating website backup.
- Once you login to your website’s cPanel, you will get the backups option under file section. There are backup wizard and file backups.
- Go to the MySQL database backup, and from there locate the database you need to backed up.
- Ideally they would be marked with .gz compression extension.
- Alternatively, you can use the home directory function to create your backup.
cPanel offers the quickest way of creating backup and transferring the backup of one website from one location to another.
Creating website backup with PHPMyAdmin
Login to your hosting panel, firstly. Install the Portable PHPMyAdmin plugin, use the plugin to select the database you would like to backup. Then export it to a location you want the backup transferred. Then lastly import the database on from your desired location.
Whenever you are having a new hosting service provider for your website, creating backup becomes a necessity. Your backup creation will be not complete with transferring the content and posts database. You also need to transfer the files and attachments, images and other content with it. For the backup to work smoothly it is essential that your wp-config.php file uses the same login details like the database.
Alternatively to above can be the use of plugins. BackupBuddy and Smart Backup are two prominent plugins that you can use to help backup creation. You can also look for premium and free plugins to aid you in backup creation and transfer of your website. WordPress repository is a good source of qualified and free plugins.
Lastly, backup creation of your website can sound to be a tedious job while it is an essential part of your web administratorship. It can help you protect your data and if you develop a user’s community, then backup will help you stay updated with user details. Make website backup creation your routine task, it will ultimately save you from all bad attempts to get your site down and ease the data recovery.