What is LinkPatrol?
LinkPatrol is a WordPress plugin that conduct in-depth analysis of inbound and outbound links in your WordPress website pages and posts. After analyzing the links, the plugin lets you manage them by stripping and adding no-follow tag to the links. At the same time the plugin will generate report on which links should you keep and which links you should strip.
To run LinkPatrol on your WordPress website, you need to have higher versions of WordPress 3.7. It benefits users by
- Protecting their site from spam links
- Removes spam keywords
- Keeps your on-page links healthy
- Lets you recover the mistakes by restoring links.
How link patrol works?
LinkPatrol works in three easy steps of scan, review and take action. After installing and activating the plugin you need to run the scan. After scanning gets completed the tool will generate a report of links based on their domain, strategy, author identity and anchor texts. You need to review the report to manually decide which one should you keep on your website. The generated scan report can be analyzed offline. In the last step, LinkPatrol lets you take action of either to edit the posts, add nofollow tag to the links and or to strip the links. The premium plugin is very popular and here you can find more details about it.
How to install and activate LinkPatrol in your WordPress website?
Here are the steps to install and activate LinkPatrol in your WordPress website.
- At first, you need to subscribe for the packages from LinkPatrol website and download the plugin’s ZIP file to your computer.
- Then login to your WordPress admin panel and under plugins using the file locating tool select the downloaded ZIP file from your computer.
- Upload it and install it. After installing it, you should activate it inserting the license key.
That’s all you need to do before working with the LinkPatrol plugin.
How to use LinkPatrol on your WordPress website?
After activating the plugin, run it for the first time to scan all the outbound links. If your site have too many content and links, then the tool will take little more time otherwise it performs fast. After completing the scan a report dashboard will appear with link statistics and it will show internal vs. external links, authors with most links per posts and most linked domains. If you click on any such head, it will switch to its detail report. For instance, the domain report will list up all the domains linking with yours with their posts counts, link and author counts. Next to each item there will be two options to either make them nofollow or strip them. Tick on the boxes according to your link plan.
Similarly the author report will show author names, their posts with links and average links per post. You can click on individual author name to get full report on him or her links and then follow the same procedure described in last paragraph. For keyword search it follows the same steps.
How to strip or nofollow all links to a domain on WordPress using LinkPatrol?
The easiest way of removing all links or making all links nofollow for a specific domain, you can use the LinkPatrol plugin on your WordPress. To do so, add a domain name or the URL under the Nofollow/Strip, then check the box for Nofollow or Strip and click on add. Thus all the links pointing to a website will become either nofollow or strip.
Guidelines to use LinkPatrol based on your SEO linking strategy
While removing and tagging the inbound and outbound links are made easy with LinkPatrol, you need to be careful with using the plugin.
- First of all you should consider using the tool get some link juice. As you know search engines are becoming strict day by day and linking is mostly under their microscopic tool for its context assessment. Feel free to send outbound link to any website that is relevant to your niche and pose higher domain authority and have good content. Using LinkPatrol will keep your notified about any changes with those pages that you linked for the link juice.
- Besides content and linking; a sites design, presentation and appearance can become the sole reason to deliver bad user experience. In fact, high traffic or good content page can have many grey and black hat methods applied behind its popularity. Link patrol can help you to identify such pages and links that does not respect user experience.
- Website information can become outdated and old fashioned. Many websites will not change their content frequently or update it in regular manner. These are not good example sites. If you link to such sites, you need to take the links away from such back dated information sources.
- The use of anchor text itself is a fun part to check on the SEO linking strategy.